Almost three months without a new recipe is too much, I know. But these last weeks we’ve been making some changes in the website. And even if we still have some work to do, the renewed version of manulechef is almost done. All this blogging thing has changed (evolved?) a lot since we started two years ago, and we were beginning to have a certain vintage look that we didn’t like at all! So while we work in the finishing touches of the new site, and just to start warming up, I propose you to learn how to dry tomatoes at home using your oven. What do you thing? It can’t be easier and the final result you can use it for many different meals.
You can use this tomatoes in calzones (as part of the filling) and pizzas (put it on top just before serving), toasts, sandwiches… and salads. In fact our next recipe is going to be an original salad that uses this oven-dried tomatoes as one of its ingredients.
So what, are you up for it?
- You can use some normal size tomatoes, or cherry tomatoes. In the first case you should cut them into six, lengthways (as you see in the picture above). Start by cutting them into 2, and them each half into three. For cherry tomatoes, just cut them into haves.
- If you aren’t going to use them right away, you can store them in a recipient covered with olive oil (as you see in the picture at the beginning of this post. That way they will last for 4 or 5 days, if you keep them refrigerated.
- 4 medium size tomatoes (or 300 g of cherry tomatoes)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp muscovado sugar
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 150 º C /Gas Mark 2.
- Cut the tomatoes in slices (for the medium size tomatoes) or halves (for the cherry tomatoes)
- Put the tomatoes in a bowl. Add the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix it well.
- Arrange the tomato slices on a baking tray, skin-side down. Sprinkle on top the remaining juices from the bowl.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour or until the tomatoes have lost most of their moisture. For the cherry tomatoes could be enough baking for 50 minutes.